Joint Action for Ukraine:
A Comprehensive Report
on Ukraine’s Humanitarian, Social,
and Economic Needs
The launch of W4UAF Report took place on:
19 April 2023 at 14.00 PM CEST
in Polish Press Agency
ul. Bracka 6/8 in Warsaw
The W4UA Report
United for Ukraine: A Comprehensive Report on Humanitarian, Social, and Economic Needs – A Summary of the World for Ukraine Summit.
This English-language publication is aimed at the international community involved in supporting Ukraine. The report contains key recommendations for businesses, governments, local authorities, and humanitarian organizations in relation to their ongoing efforts to assist Ukraine and its people. Topics addressed in the report include economic reconstruction, rebuilding cities and infrastructure, addressing the food crisis, optimizing transportation, delivering humanitarian aid to those most in need, education, healthcare (including psychological support), and local government partnerships. The report represents the first comprehensive compendium of knowledge covering various aspects of the reality of a state having become the victim of armed aggression in 21st-century Europe..
TESTIMONIALS OF THE W4UA REPORT PARTNERS
The report partners are organizations, representing the four stakeholder groups that W4UA cooperates with, who have supported the production of this report and its distribution. The content of the report is authored independently by W4UA Foundation and was in no way influenced by the affiliated partners.
Prof. dr hab. Piotr Wachowiak
Rector of Warsaw School of Economics
This war was intended to be short. The aggressor state
hoped that Ukraine would fall within days and eventually fall
back into the Russian sphere of influence. Ukraine was to
lose its freedom and abandon its European aspirations. But
this did not transpire. What happened will be researched
and studied in-depth in the fields of social, economic and
political science. Such research is already underway and
will certainly continue.
The report you are holding in your hand is a compendium
of knowledge on many aspects of the humanitarian situation
in Ukraine. Noteworthy is the inclusion of the main
actors involved in the fight against the crisis caused by the
war. Governments and local governments, business and
the NGO sector, the role of which should not be underestimated,
create a kind of ecosystem that today supports Ukrainian
society in its resistance and allows it to survive, and tomorrow will guarantee the reconstruction of the country.
I recommend this publication as a summary of the crucial
first year of humanitarian efforts in the face of the Russian
invasion. Efforts that will always inspire us all.
Regional Director of Uber
In the second year of the war in Ukraine, there were unprecedented challenges that we couldn’t have imagined before. Uber joined a massive relief effort together with non-governmental organizations, volunteers, and businesses to
As a company present in 18 cities in Ukraine, we provided
over 100 000 free rides for Ukrainian refugees, their families,
and aid workers so they could reach safe places, cross
the country’s border, or move within countries providing
aid. This is just one example of our commitment. We donated
over 44.000.000 Polish zloty for humanitarian purposes,
including to the International Rescue Committee, the
Red Cross, UNHCR, UNICEF, and the World Food Program.
Uber sponsored this report because information and
knowledge are crucial areas of relief efforts. Our partnership
with World For Ukraine Foundation was a valuable
experience. As a company, we recognize the urgent need
to build platforms for meetings and relationship-building.
Humanitarian aid requires understanding and coordination
at the local and global levels. Therefore, the idea of World
For Ukraine fits into our long-term actions. This report summarizes the humanitarian situation in Ukraine in the first
year of the war.
The recommendations for various entities involved in aid
for Ukraine are particularly valuable. This knowledge resource
broadens our understanding of the situation in the attacked
country and builds synergy effects for various parties
involved in relief efforts.
Head of The Communication Media Center at The Embassy of Ukraine to the Republic of Poland
What began on February 24, 2022 continues to this day. For more than a year now, Poland has been demonstrating true solidarity with Ukraine – Polish people support us in the humanitarian, economic, military and moral spheres. Countless events have taken place all around Poland, and the World For Ukraine Summit occupies a special place among them.
The event managed to gather in one place an unprecedented
number of participants and representatives from public
institutions, non-governmental organizations, business,
donors, media, local government officials and experts.
Thanks to this, W4UA is a unique example of uniting around
a common goal, which is to help Ukraine.
Our main message during the summit was to show the
importance of communication and joint Polish-Ukrainian
projects on the information front against the background of
Russian efforts aimed at dividing our societies and sowing
distrust and hostility through disinformation insertions.
In order to neutralize the anti-Ukrainian propaganda, the Center for Media Communication prepared a large campaign entitled „Thank you, Poland”. The campaign spot was watched on social media, television
and cinemas by over 30 million people
in Poland. Thanks to the campaign, it was possible to reach the widest possible audience with this important message showing the gratitude of Ukrainians to their Polish friends.
We understand that the fight against disinformation continues every day, every hour, and victory in this war must take place not only on the battlefield, but also on the information front. We wish the W4UA Foundation and the Summit success in its noble intentions to support Ukraine, to support the good in the fight against evil.
Founder and President of the Global Empowerment Mission
The motto is to deliver the greatest amount of aid to the
greatest amount of people for the least amount of money
and in the shortest possible time.
I am grateful to the W4UA Foundation for the opportunity
to build lasting relationships through their incredible conferences. The relationships made are priceless and enabled Global Empowerment Mission to effectively scale our relief efforts in Ukraine.
The World for Ukraine Summit 2022
An unprecedented humanitarian event in Europe, the summit gathered over 1500 participants from various countries around the world at the G2A Arena in Rzeszow-Jasionka. The World for Ukraine Summit (W4UA) united the efforts of hundreds of entities and institutions carrying out humanitarian actions for Ukraine. The Summit was held in Rzeszów-Jasionka in Poland on 7-9th of December 2022.
Among the patrons and participants of the summit were organizations such as: Polish Humanitarian Action, Global Empowerment Mission, Americares, Hope Worldwide, Community Organized Relief Effort, International Medical Corps, and Maltese Medical Service.
- Władysław Atroszenko, Mayor of Chernihiv
- Juha Auvinen, Head of Southeast Europe and Eastern Neighbourhood (ECHO.DDG.C.2) at the European Commission
- Brock Bierman, President of Ukraine Friends, former Director at the United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Richard Branson, British philanthropist, entrepreneur, and founder of Virgin Group
- Michael Capponi, American philanthropist and entrepreneur, founder of Global Empowerment Mission
- Konrad Fijołek, Mayor of Rzeszów
- Magdalena Gawin, Professor, Director of the Pilecki Institute and Lemkin Center
- Oleksandr Hryban, Deputy Minister of Economy of Ukraine
- Dmytro Klets, Reform Support Team at the Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine
- Oleg Kuts, Chargé d’affaires of the Embassy of Ukraine in Poland
- Ewa Leniart, Governor of Podkarpackie Voivodeship
- Hanna Maliar, Deputy Minister of Defense of Ukraine
- Joanna Ochojska, President of Polish Humanitarian Action, Member of the European Parliament
- Andrij Sadowyj, Mayor of Lviv
- David Schlaefer, Senior Advisor at the U.S. Department of State for War Crimes and Accountability in Ukraine
- Oleksandr Sienkiewicz, Mayor of Mykolaiv
- Leendert Verbeek, President of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe
…and many other distinguished speakers involved in various forms of assistance for Ukraine.
Advisor to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine, Former Ambassador of Ukraine to Poland
We need your support because so many countries are already supporting Ukraine and believing in Ukraine, that if we lose – it means you will lose this war too. (…) We need weapons at this moment, but we also need your humanitarian assistance, we need your support in rebuilding Ukraine. I am absolutely convinced that only united will we win this war and establish peace and security in our region.
Chargé d’affaires of the Embassy of Ukraine in Poland
Poland is a leader in providing support for Ukraine, setting an example and inspiring the whole world, as the world now witnesses the joint determination of Poland and Ukraine, who are fighting together for a better tomorrow for our children and for our freedom.
The Summit in numbers
Major of Rzeszów
Ukrainians do not want just a rebuilt country; they want to draw from the experiences of others and build Ukraine as an ultra-modern nation. There is determination, hard work, and courage, symbolized by the words: “In Kherson, we don’t have water, heat, electricity, and sometimes food, but at least we don’t have Russians.” That’s why this must succeed.
President of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of The Council Of Europe
We firmly assure our support in the coming years within the framework of the Council of Europe’s action plan for resistance, reconstruction, and revival of Ukraine. Much remains to be done with Ukraine and for Ukraine, where we have the opportunity to act and make changes. By working together, we will make our continent stronger.
W4UA SUMMIT under the patronage of Ukrainian institutions
Deputy Minister of Economy of Ukraine
The Ukrainian economy is suffering because the best people, the most qualified, are leaving. Many skilled women, who were the driving force in various sectors, have left, which is a problem. And this is a great opportunity for us to show that we care about them and create conditions to bring them back.
Deputy Minister of Defense of Ukraine
What Russia is doing in Ukraine is a precedent and a signal to others who may have similar ambitions that it is permissible to enter another country and avoid responsibility. It is really important that we all work together and find a mechanism to expedite international procedures so that we can be sure that the political and military authorities of Russia will be held accountable.
REFERENCES AFTER THE W4UA SUMMIT
Thank you very much for your words of support ♥️!
THE UKRAINIAN HUMANITARIAN CRISIS IN NUMBERS – EXODUS
Founder Of Virgin Group
I am grateful to the business leaders of Poland and Ukraine for what you are doing. I would like to thank you for the fantastic work you are carrying out. This war is a war of the world; we must cooperate and work together. We are taking action every day. I encourage supporting relief initiatives. I would like to thank all the Poles who have welcomed refugees; you are an extraordinary country.
MATCHMAKING W4UA– ŁĄCZYMY DLA UKRAINY / CONNECTING FOR UKRAINE
During the World for Ukraine Summit, five aid projects were presented as part of the W4UA matchmaking program, which secured real support.
UNBROKEN is the National Rehabilitation Center dedicated to veterans and war victims, operating in Lviv. It specializes in limb prosthetics and rehabilitation.
A grant from the World for Ukraine Foundation allowed the Unbroken Centre to fund modern prosthesis.
The Kopychyntsi City Program (Ternopil region) supports people affected by job loss.
A donation from the W4UA Foundation was used by the city office to renovate offices that will house the Employment Support Center. The renovation was completed in January 2023. The city of Bruges (Belgium) joined the W4UA Foundation donation, providing computer equipment. The project results can be viewed here: www.shorturl.at/eqEM5
Additional photos are also available here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dRBqWGuK5n16j6-JmQIS8QPE-89klrKP
Modular heating system for the City of Mykolayiv – purchase and installation of 2 modular devices with a capacity of 1 MW each. The installation of such modular boilers will ensure the delivery of heat for about 50,000 people.
A donation from the W4UA Foundation allowed for the purchase of modular boilers.
CORE – KIEV AND CHERNIHIV
CORE Project – anti-aircraft shelters for schools in the Chernihiv and Kyiv regions, equipped with equipment for conducting online classes. The shelters are to ensure the safety of children and, at the same time, the continuity of education.
Support from the W4UA Foundation was used to purchase appropriate materials and school equipment, such as printers, books, and other sports items, which will constitute the equipment of school anti-aircraft shelters.
CORE – KRYVYI RIH
CORE Response Information Center for internally displaced persons arriving in the Kryvyi Rih region. The center provides legal assistance, information on the possibilities of obtaining help or employment, and coordinates humanitarian activities.
Support from the W4UA Foundation was used to purchase appropriate materials and school equipment, such as printers, books, and other sports items, which will constitute the equipment of school anti-aircraft shelters.
Mayor of Lviv
Yes, we are being bombed. Yes, we spend a lot of time in shelters. But we are thinking about the future. Half of every mayor’s mind (in Ukraine) is focused on the current situation, but the other half is already thinking about the future. So, let’s collaborate. Let’s not be afraid and let’s win!
Senior Project Manager, Reform Support Team at the Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine
Ukraine is now the shield of Europe, but we are paying a high price for it. Even if Russia stops the war tomorrow, we will need at least two years to rebuild the infrastructure. We need the help of our partners for this.
THE UKRAINIAN HUMANITARIAN CRISIS IN NUMBERS
– THE MOST REFUGEES HAVE BEEN RECEIVED BY UKRAINE
United States Agency for International Development for Europe And Eurasia,
President of the Ukraine Friends Foundation
We must do everything we can to save every single life. But there will never be enough resources to meet the needs that exist in Ukraine. We must do everything possible to collaborate in order to respond to these needs. What is happening in eastern Ukraine is a crime, and we will do everything in our power to address every single need that arises.
Special Advisor on War Crimes and Atrocities In Ukraine, Office Of Global Criminal Justice, U.S. Department Of State
The full-scale Russian invasion of Ukraine has resulted in an unprecedented number of initiatives concerned with accountability worldwide. From our perspective, the main priority is to ensure that those responsible for the crimes in Ukraine are held accountable for their actions and cannot violate international norms, wreaking havoc and destruction with impunity.
Selected recommendations from the W4UA Report
This summary of the recommendations from the W4UA Report has been organized according to the main stakeholder groups involved in helping Ukraine: humanitarian organizations, Ukrainian and foreign governments, local governments and corporate entities. The list of recommendations is not exhaustive. Detailed analyzes can be found in the W4UA Report.
WORLD FOR UKRAINE NETWORK
The following organizations joined the W4UA Summit.
- Stand with Ukraine Foundation
- TOGETHER WE CAN
- 24 Febbraio Associazione Ucraina
- ADA Fundation
- Aerial Recovery Group
- Aidua fundacja
- Alaska Lions Club
- American Chamber of Commerce in Poland
- Association of Industrial Automation of Ukraine
- Association Pomocomocni
- Bratnia Dusza
- British-Ukrainian Chamber of Commerce
- Business Without Barriers Foundation
- Caritas Polska
- Centrum Chrześcijańskie Rebeka KBwCh
- CF “Mercy and Health”
- CF Right to Protection
- Charitable Foundation “Rescue Now”
- Charitable Foundation Hope UA
- Charitable Foundation K12
- CHARITABLE ORGANIZATION “CHARITABLE FOUNDATION “NASHA SPRAVA UKRAINE”
- Charity Children Victims of War
- Charity Fund “UKRAINE 4 5 0”
- Charity Fund Posmishka UA
- Angels of Salvation
- Source of Revival of Ukraine
- Club of Catholic Intelligentsia (KIK)
- CORE: Community Organized Relief Effort
- Corporate Connections
- Defend freedom UA
- Denver Helps Kyiv
- Direct Relief
- East Forum Foundation
- EKOS Stowarzyszenie Edukacji dla Zrównowazonego Rozwoju
- Empowering Children Foundation
- Encora Foundation
- epruf s.a./ Health4Ukraine
- EUkraine Foundation
- European Association for Child Developpement
- First Lviv Medical Union
- First Lviv Territorial Medical Union
- Fondution Zbegi Sebe
- Fools Save the World
- For Luhansk
- FOR VICTIMS OF WAR IN UKRAINE
- Foundation Ukraine
- FRANIA FOUNDATION / Mediciner – International Healthcare Association e.V.
- Freedom Light
- Freedom Shield Foundation
- Fundacja ACTED Polska
- Fundacja Emes i Przyjaciele
- Fundacja Europejski Fundusz Rozwoju Wsi Polskiej
- Fundacja Folkowisko
- Fundacja Freedomshield Foundation
- Fundacja Future for Ukraine
- Fundacja Gdańska
- Fundacja H.E.L.P.
- Fundacja Historia Vita
- Fundacja im.Abrahama Sterna
- Fundacja In Blessed Art
- Fundacja Jolanty Kwaśniewskiej “Porozumienie bez Barier”
- Fundacja Kadr
- Fundacja KRAINA
- Fundacja Medyk dla Zdrowia
- Fundacja Nadzieja Bogu Miła
- Fundacja OCALENIE
- Fundacja Pomoc Maltańska
- Fundacja Prawnikon
- Fundacja Pro Spe
- Fundacja Prolif
- Fundacja Q
- Fundacja REYBUDHELP
- Fundacja Rozwoju Kwalifikacji Stella Virium
- Fundacja SOS Życie
- Fundacja Świętokrzyskich Kopalni Surowców Mineralnych KAGANEK
- Fundacja Via Vitae
- Fundacja Vilni
- Fundacja Widzialna Ręka
- Future for Ukraine
- Global Empowerment Mission
- H.E.L.P. Foundation
- HAFGB Humanitarian Aid Fund Based in Great Britain
- Head of the All-Ukrainian Platform “Youth Values”, Head of the Committee on International Cooperation and European Integration of the Public Council under the Ministry of Youth and Sports
- Heart of the World – Ukraine
- Heart to Heart
- Hearty Foudnation
- Help on Time
- Hilko charitable foundation
- HOPE FOR JUSTICE
- Hope Foundation
- Hope Shelter
- HOPE worldwide, Ltd.
- Humanitarian Leadership Academy/ Save the Children UK
- Humanity Now: Direct Refugee Relief
- Humanosh Foundation
- ICF “Health of the Ukrainian People” (HOUP.ORG)
- Instytut Pileckiego – Centrum Lemkina
- Instytut Solidarności i Męstwa im. Witolda Pileckiego
- International Centre for Ukrainian Victory
- International Humanitarian Hub
- International Medical Corps
- International Non-governmental Organization “Ukraine-Poland-Germany”
- International Rescue Committee
- Konfederacja Lewiatan
- Kulczyk Foundation
- Let`s do it Ukraine
- MAD Foundation – Operation SafeDrop
- Mediciner – International Healthcare Association e.V.
- Mission-U Foundatin
- Mother for Ukraine
- New Horizons for Children
- NGO “Freedom Light”
- NGO “NDC Phlogiston Team”
- NGO “CRIYA”
- NGO Agency for Innovative, Sustainable Development and Resource Efficiency
- NGO F-light
- NGO Kherson Women Union
- NGO ‘Pregnancy and Maternity Support Club Lada’
- NGO Ukrainian Youth Group
- NGO Union of large families of Lviv region
- NRC Unbroken
- Oleksandr Yanovskiy Charitable Organization
- Operation SafeDrop/MAD Foundation
- Operation White Stork
- PI Will Help Together
- Podkarpacka Izba Inżynierów Budownictwa
- Podkarpackie Stowarzyszenie dla Aktywnych Rodzin
- Polafund Foundation
- Polish Geopolitical Society
- Polish Humanitarian Action
- Polish Migration Forum
- Polish-German Business Club BERPOL e.V
- Poliski Czerwony Krzyz
- Polska Akcja Humanitarna
- Polska Organizacja Ratownicza
- Pregnancy and Maternity Support Center “Lada”
- Project Hope
- Public Organization “Ukraine-Polska-Germany”
- Rise of Ukraine fund
- Robin hood project Ukraine
- Rocky Mountain Aid Foundation
- Rotary International
- Rzeszowskie Stowarzyszenie Ochrony Zwierząt
- Save the Children
- Shpyg Foundation
- SMART Medical Aid
- Soleterre Foundation
- Spanbound charity foundation
- Spirit of America
- SpivDiia Charity Foundation
- Spunbond Charity Foundation
- Startup Hub Poland Foundation
- Stay Safe UA
- Stowarzyszenie “Pro Carpathia”
- Stowarzyszenie Aktywnych Animatorów Kultury
- Stowarzyszenie Animacji Kultury Pogranicza “Folkowisko”
- Stowarzyszenie Centrum Wolontariatu
- Stowarzyszenie Czajnia
- Stowarzyszenie Dziennikarzy Poskich
- Stowarzyszenie Planeta Grabia
- Stowarzyszenie SOS Wioski Dziecięce w Polsce
- Stowarzyszenie Związek Ukraińców w Suwałkach
- The Canada Way
- The national welfare fund of Crimea, QIRI’M YOUNG
- The Robin Hood Project – Ukraine
- The Ukraine Energy Efficiency Fund
- Towarzystwo Przyjaciół Brzozowa-Zdroju
- Towarzystwo Przyjaciół Ukrainy
- Triglav-Rysy Business Club
- UA Brokers Without Borders
- UAID Direct
- Ukraine Shelter
- Ukrainian – Swiss Business Association
- Ukrainian Catholic University Foundation in Wrocław
- Ukrainian Charity
- Ukrainian Freedom Fund
- Ukrainian Student Ligue
- Ukrainian together
- Ukrainian World Congress
- Ukrainians together
- Unia Polsko-Ukraińska
- Union of large families of Lviv region Happy family
- Union of Ukrainian Entrepreneurs
- United Help Ukraine
- Uniters Foundation
- Volunteers of Podillia
- War Childhood Museum Foundation
- White Ribbon Ukraine
- WINGS OF REVIVAL – EAST
- Wolontarska Sotnia Lwowska
- World Central Kitchen
- Związek Strzelecki “Strzelec” Józefa Piłsudskiego
- Związek Ukraińców w Polsce Oddział w Przemyślu
CALL TO ACTION
Write to us about an urgent need or project or ask about what Ukraine needs. We are here to connect.
Join our Newsletter and stay tuned for the latest updates.